Moving to Holland.
Very often we are asked questions related to moving to the Netherlands. Of course, if you set the goal to move to another country, then all information can be found on the Internet and at the place of arrival will prompt where to go and to whom to contact. But sometimes thoughts in my head just spin, and there’s nothing to catch. Sometimes it’s just interesting how difficult it is, long and expedient.
So, what you should know at the first thought about moving to Holland. Below are the main steps for expatriates planning to move.
Residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). This is the first step if you want to live in the Netherlands legally. Citizens of the EU and Switzerland can simply move and live here on the basis of their passport. The rest must receive an MVV visa, and then a resident permit.
It is necessary to make an appointment to visit the Immigration Service (IND) within 2 weeks after arrival. This service handles the registration of your card – a residence permit. IND in Amsterdam is located at Stadhouderskade 85 in the city center, near the Heineken Experience brewing museum.
Find where to live. You need somewhere to sleep and the central train station of Amsterdam or other cities is probably not the best choice. Here are some tips for finding an apartment / house in the Netherlands. Of course, if you do not have a job and you are not a millionaire, finding a worthy place can be a problem.
Register in the municipality (gemeente). If you plan to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months and have found a residence, then you must register with the local municipality (Gemeente). It is better to try in advance to register by phone or through the site.
With you, you must have your passport / ID and a document on the basis of which you have the right to live at your address (lease / purchase agreement, letter of authorization from the homeowner with a copy of his ID). Also, the municipality can ask for a notarized copy of your birth certificate.
Please note that for highly qualified migrants (Kennismigrant) and European citizens working in the company with the official status of the sponsor, the residence permit and municipal registration can be easily issued at Expatcenter – located at the World Trade Center in Amsterdam Zuid or in The Hague.
Get your BSN number. If the tax is satisfied with the documents, they issue BSN (Burger Service Nummer). This is a key step for a normal life in the Netherlands. BSN is needed, for example, to get a job and pay taxes, get access to the banking system and health care, arrange a car and so on.
Open the Dutch bank account (rekening). You must open an account with one of the major Dutch banks, such as ABN Amro, ING or Rabobank. But only ABN Amro has a separate service department for expats. You will need a BSN number, a passport, a residence address confirmation, such as a rental agreement and proof of income (employment contract). You will be issued a Maestro debit card and you can breathe easy & # 8211; it will be accepted everywhere, unlike Visa, MasterCard and others.
Job . If you are lucky and you already have a job, then you’re in luck! If it does not, then here are some tips on how to find it.
Buy medical insurance (verzekering). This legal requirement is compulsory for Dutch residents over the age of 18. The insurance will cost around 100 � per month and will cover doctor visits, emergencies, medical care and rehabilitation. Please note that the health insurance company will require a Dutch address, your BSN number and a Dutch bank account. As a result, you will receive a health insurance card. The insurance company can choose from reviews on the Internet or by reading the contract, you can also choose the type of insurance with different options for covering insurance cases (up to massage, sports and contact lenses).
Registration with the family doctor (huisarts). Find a local general practitioner. Ask friends / colleagues / neighbors about recommendations. Usually, the home doctor is chosen closer to home. But it is possible that he does not quite suit you and will have to look for another. In some cities you can find Russian-speaking doctors.
You will need a Dutch health insurance card to gain access to health care. Also you can gain a foothold at the dentist.
When all the steps are taken and all the documents are received, you can safely breathe and boldly go in search of adventures and impressions in different cities of this wonderful country, which will very soon become so native to you that it will be difficult to return to any other living conditions.
Post navigation.
And to get a residence permit, what do you need? Besides passport and desire? Any confirmation of financial solvency? Employment contract? Are not all the applicants issued a residence permit? Or all? ))
Elena, great question)
To move you need to either have an employment contract or go to university in the Netherlands.
The article is designed for the fact that you already have approval for moving. But do not know what to do and in what sequence, when moved.
Hello. If I want to buy a property in Holland, will I first need to obtain a residence permit? Or can I come, buy an apartment (house), and then have all the documents for living? Thank you.
Good afternoon, Pavel.
You can, but the presence of property does not give the right to residence in the Netherlands. And real estate here is expensive, just as there is a price increase.
Good afternoon! When moving to a new country, it is not always possible to understand all the unknown laws and it is very difficult to find answers to all the questions that arise. And many simply do not have the time or the will to do so. Therefore, who needs qualified help, look here.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
My name is Oksana and I’m glad to see you on my blog!
Enjoy your reading and I hope you find it here, what I was looking for)