International experience in Canada.
International Experience Canada (IEC) is a program designed to give young people the opportunity to work in Canada on a temporary basis.
Citizens of countries that have a bilateral agreement on youth mobility with Canada between the ages of 18 and 35 may be eligible for work permits under the IEC program.
The International Experience Canada (IEC) program has three categories:
Working vacations (Work & Holiday) Young Professionals (International Co-op)
Participants in the Work Vacations program can obtain an open work permit valid for one to two years. Open Work Permits allow participants to work anywhere in Canada for almost any Canadian employer. Citizens of some countries may be allowed to stay in Canada for a period of more than one year or less.
As part of this program, citizens of participating countries can gain valuable international experience by working for a Canadian company. Before submitting an application, a signed letter with a job offer or a contract of employment with the Canadian employer is required, provided that the work is related to the applicant’s training. The proposed work should be classified as Level 0, A or B work according to the National Occupation Code (NOC).
This program allows citizens of participating countries who are enrolled in higher education institutions of the country whose citizenship they have, to pass an internship in a Canadian company. Before applying, participants must agree on cooperation with Canadian employers. At the time of the internship, candidates must have the official status of a student.
be a citizen (passport holder) of one of the 32 countries that have a two-year agreement with Canada on youth mobility; have a valid passport for the entire stay in Canada (the work permit must not exceed the period during which the passport is valid), be aged 18 to 30 or 35 at the time of application (the upper age limit depends on the country of citizenship of the applicant); have the equivalent of $ 2,500 CAN at the time of entry into the country to be able to cover the initial costs; be able to obtain health insurance for the duration of their stay in Canada (participants may need to provide proof of the availability of this insurance at the point of entry into Canada); have the right to enter Canada; have a round-trip ticket or financial resources before the departure for the purchase of a return ticket at the end of their official stay in Canada, are not accompanied by the persons who are dependent; as well as pay the relevant fees.
Please note that the specific age and requirements for the candidate may vary from country to country.
Some significant changes in the IEC program and its subcategories came into force in 2015/16. In short, the program moved from the first-come-first-served model to the Expression of Interest / Invitation to Apply model. Suitable candidates can create their profile on the IEC, but must receive an Application Request (ITA) before they can file the application.
Below you can find a step-by-step guide describing what you need to do in order to register in the IEC program:
Fill in the “Come to Canada” form and, if possible, get a personal reference code. Use this code to create a My CIC account. Follow the remaining steps to create an IEC profile using the template form. Provide information for inclusion in your profile and select the IEC pools in which you would like to participate. If you receive an invitation to apply through My CIC, you will have 10 days during which you can begin the application process or reject the invitation received. If you accept the offer, click the Launch Application button in your MyCIC account to start the process for applying for a work permit. After you click the “Launch Application” button in My CIC, you will have 20 days to complete the documents, pay the fee and apply for a work permit, no matter on which day after making a decision that you accept the offer, you will begin the process of filling them-on the first day or at 10. “Young Specialist” and “International Cooperation” categories: before the expiry of the 20-day period, your employer must pay a fee of $ 230 through the Employer Portal. Ask your employer to send you the job offer number that he / she will receive after paying the due fees. You will need this number to apply for a work permit.) Upload all supporting documents to the portal, including the policy and medical certificates, if applicable (if you do not have supporting documents, you can download proof that you filed application for a medical examination and that a request for a certificate from the police was sent). Pay a CAD fee of $ 150 with a credit card through the online payment system at My CIC. (Work Break Category: Simultaneously pay a fee for an open work permit of CAD $ 100). At this point, the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, IRC, the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), is beginning to evaluate applications for temporary work. The IRC may ask you for additional documents. This is the last chance to get out of IEC and get a refund. If the application is successful, a letter-presentation (LOI) will be sent to your My CIC account. The official title of the document is “Point of entry (POE) Letter-presentation.”
This letter must be submitted upon arrival at the point of entry into Canada (for example, at the international airport), after which a work permit may be obtained.
Review of IEC for 2015/16.
The validity period of each type of visa is indicated in three central columns and depends on the applicant’s citizenship, as well as on the type of visa for which the application was filed.